Sunday, January 16, 2011

dyetastic

 Ok I'm awful at putting pictures on here still so bear with me and just enjoy all the pretty colors!!! My friend Ashley and I got together this weekend to dye. We had a blast. We used all kool-aid colors and came out with some great yarns.




The first one is one of Ashleys. Using lemonade & orange in a plastic syringe she squirted stripes onto her skein. She then put it in a steamer basket and steamed it for maybe 20 minutes? (we're both awful at writing down our directions and keeping track of what we are doing). And then it hung to dry.


This is Ashleys second. A small amount of super soft thin alpaca. She used grape, berry blue & black cherry. Used the syringes again but squished the color into the yarn until it was saturated where she wanted. It was microwaved twice for two minutes with a cooling break in between, rinsed and then hung up.


 Ashleys final skein used up all the leftovers from what we had dyed. Some berry blue, grape, black cherry, lemonade, lime...I think that's it. It was sprayed, splattered, syringed, squished...almost anything, and then steamed to set & hung to dry.


 My first skein used lime & berry blue in spray bottles. I sprayed my skein with the colors & then rolled it up in saran wrap. It was microwaved in a glass dish at 2 minute intervals with cooling rests in between. After a few times my saran wrap started to melt/peel. Luckily it didn't start to stick to the yarn. I peeled it all off and continued to microwave the yarn in the glass dish. Then I rinsed and hung to dry.


My second skein was grape, berry blue & black cherry. I sectioned my skein into quadrants and using syringes and squishing filled 1 with the blue 1 with the cherry and 2 next to each other with grape. I wrapped in the saran wrap and tried to bake the yarn but the saran wrap started to melt. Again it didn't melt to the yarn! I re-wrapped and carefully microwaved at two minute intervals with cooling breaks and then unwrapped, rinsed & hung to dry.

I absolutely love how all of our yarn came out and can't wait to dye again! Each time I get so many ideas for "next time". 

No comments:

Post a Comment