Monday, January 10, 2011

lessons learned

Plenty of lessons are still waiting to be learned for me in parenting, knitting and of course dying. Well here's a lesson I learned in dying.  No matter what the name of the yarn, check the content label. Just because the name says wool, doesn't mean the yarn is mostly wool. Even though people (me) may assume so. Anyways I tried dying this wool (yeah right, 20% wool 80% acrylic) and it didn't work too well. Color took in the 20% but when my yarn was drying my husband said it looked like a dirty janitor mop, and he was right. I tried using blue & black food coloring & green kool-aid. I don't remember details, but since it didn't work I guess they don't matter. The yarn was supposed to be for my dads Christmas hat but I went and purchased new for him and decided my dye disaster would be saved for something else. Because I didn't like it I chose a pattern I didn't love but was interested in. I do like how my frosty cowl turned out. The color is interesting even if it's not pretty. Because only few strands are dyed the yarn has that white acrylic looking frosty over the blue & green. Reminds me of that first winter frost to fall on the ground. Anyways here is my cowl/headband. 
I like to wear it as a headband, it seems too wide but it cover more of your head that way, and i do love that it covers my earlobes. My current hat doesn't cover my stretched lobes, which is something that I need during a cold WI/MN winter. I hope this headband/cowl will assist me with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment